Monday, March 18, 2019

White-breasted nuthatch.

The white-breasted nuthatch
I was out snowshoeing today in Central Alberta, enjoying the sunny skies and warming temperatures, hoping to find something wonderful to photograph.  As I plodded along, an unfamiliar chirping sound became more and more apparent.  I surveyed the area and to my delight, a small bird was busily foraging away.  I recognized it as a white-breasted nuthatch, although I have only ever seen this species once before.  I had to research after getting home to establish that it was a male.

I live in Coastal British Columbia where we only have the red-breasted variety.  They prefer coniferous forests, unlike the white-breasted ones which are found predominately in deciduous forests.  They are mostly permanent residents, but some migrate with the seasons.  Both species have the habit of combing over tree trunks and branches in search of food.  There is always something present in nature's buffet.  Even deep snow and cold weather will not prevent them from finding something to eat.  They will take insects, insect eggs and pupae, seeds, and of course nuts.

They get their name from the manner in which they separate the nut from its shell.  Jamming it into a cleft of a tree they will hammer on it relentlessly until it "hatches."  The released nut is then broken apart with great relish as it is eventually consumed.

I took 32 images of the bird flitting from branch to trunk and back again.  It only stayed in one place for a fraction of a second and then was off again.  I watched for a few minutes and followed it through the canopy until it had moved on.  What a nice break that was from my snowy trek.




No comments:

Post a Comment