Saturday, April 20, 2019

Red-winged blackbird – a harbinger of spring.

The familiar red-winged blackbird.

Yesterday morning I was treated to the symphony of choruses and warblings so common at this time of year.  Some were unfamiliar to me and I marveled at their beauty.  There were those that I instantly recognized too.  The one which stands out most in my mind is the trill call of the red-winged blackbird.

Winter tends to be much quieter in nature, especially if snow is present.  In the same way that insulation dampens sound through a wall, snow softens sound.  Then there is the fact that many of the choirmasters are absent, away south where warmth and food are both present in abundance. 

With spring also comes its welcome sounds.  Red-winged blackbirds are always warmly regarded by me.  Their song, although somewhat harsh and raspy, is a reminder of a place and time I love.  Ponds, marshes, and lakeshores teem with life.  The males are announcing their presence to nearby females and establishing barriers to neighbours.  Mating, brooding, and raising young are all to come.

Last year I witnessed a remarkable sight.  A large flock of red-winged blackbirds was feeding on the edge of a granary when something disturbed them.  They rose as one, each bird making minute adjustments to its flight based upon what its neighbour was doing.  They were all males, or so it seemed, the red epaulets clearly displayed on each black wing.  Then it happened.

As they lifted and turned the light from the sun caught that brilliant patch of colour and reflected it back to my eyes.  Just a moment in time, but each one was at exactly the right angle at the same instant.  A flash of red, from hundreds of birds in synchronous flight, struck me.  That was something a photo or video could never reproduce with the same vigor.  It was a sight which has been engrained in my mind.

So, now when I see this harbinger of spring and hear it iconic call, I am taken back to that moment.  Another reason why I find this time of year so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment