Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Tree swallows mating.

A pair of tree swallows preparing to raise a family.

A little privacy, please! 

The young couple did not seem to mind we watching, especially with the long lens poking out of my camera.  Intimacy with seclusion was not a high priority for this mating pair of tree swallows.  Furthermore, the male mounted the female, left, and returned numerous times during the process of copulation.  She presented herself by lowering her head to the surface and raising her hind end.  He clearly seemed to understand the signal and was only too glad to oblige her. 

What I loved about this moment was the opportunity to observe natural behaviour which is seldom witnessed.  The fact that the nest boxes were near a popular walking trail helped in that the birds were acclimated to the presence of humans.  They clearly trusted me and did not see me as a threat.  I have witnessed this kind of behaviour before in other bird species, but this was wonderful in that I have never been this close.

I took about 20 or so images, this one being the best.  What you don’t see though are the ones I took where the male has used his beak to grab onto the female’s neck feathers.  You can just barely get a glimpse of the method from this shot, although it is very clear in others.  I am sure it is part of the technique; a strategy to help maintain position, but I wonder if there wasn’t some passion in there too.  Birds are very intelligent and I think we often forget the fact that they must have emotions which run deeper than just instinct alone. 

Consider how many birds defend their nest and young.  Think about the fact that many avian species mate for life.  If it was a mindless endeavor, I would think it wouldn’t matter.  I am reminded of the story of a hunter shooting a pair of Canada Geese.  One fell dead and the other mortally wounded beside its mate.  Crawling over, it died with its wing outstretched over its partner.  That was it for the huntsman; he never shot again.  Clearly, these creatures knew what love was.

I am so thankful that I had this great opportunity to witness the beginning of new life.  I don’t think it could be called, “The joy of sex.”  I think it should be called, “The joy of love.”  I think we understand this well, and I suppose we are not the only organisms on the planet that appreciate the emotional bond which such behaviours produce.  After all, it is spring, and love is in the air.  Literally in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment